Am Fri, 31 Jan 2020 14:20:33 -0500
schrieb Greg Gallagher via Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org>:

> HI,
>

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 12:53 PM Jan Kiszka via Xenomai
> <xenomai@xenomai.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Fino,
> >
> > On 31.01.20 17:25, Meng, Fino wrote:
> > > Hi Jan
> > >
> > > Regarding to torture tests, do we have a recommend test suite &
> > > working flow  from the community? I searched xenomai wiki but
> > > didn't find a guide for this.
> >
> > Out testing leaves a bit of room for improvement, but it is getting
> > better. What we have so far is the smokey testsuite which is part of
> > many of our test runs. It has some shortcomings, e.g. unstructured
> > reporting, but it is at least a baseline. There are some further
> > tests, like switchtest, that are also included when running
> > xeno-test. And then there are loose ends like lib/*/testsuite that
> > should probably be hooked up.
> Is there anything on the wiki with what tests are needed or what area
> we need to focus on for unit tests?
>

> > > We plan to recommend UP Extreme board
> > > (https://up-board.org/up-xtreme/)  to public users since it's
> > > easy to buy for anyone And we want to write a guide for torture
> > > test, at least for these boards,
> >
> > Defining reference boards is indeed another topic. I think we
> > started that at some point on the list, but it did not go very far.
> >

> IMHO, based on what people on the list are posting as boards being
> used, beaglebone black or similar variant, raspberry-pi 2b  or
> Zynq-7000 would be good choices for arm boards.  Raspberry pi 3 and
> possibly Ultra96 for the ARM64 variants?  I have these boards on hand
> and would help out with testing as I can.
> >
> > On x86, the situation is rather comfortable as the reference image
> > we produce with xenomai-images works well on many boards and larger
> > systems. I don't have an UP board around but many products that
> > have at least similar SoCs. We once played with a Minnow board but
> > that was, well, not recommendable. The UP Xtreme could be another
> > option.
>
> > The next level is then automated execution of tests. There are many
> > ways, the one we are preparing so far is LAVA-based. Quirin started
> > that in
> > https://code.siemens.com/ebsy/debian/xenomai-images/tree/master/tests.
> > He is busy the next weeks but he wants to follow-up on that with
> > more details afterwards so that we can discuss in the community if
> > that could become an official pattern for Xenomai.
> >
> I like the idea of Lava, would there be extra hardware needed if
> someone wanted to create the test setup at home?
> I can't access the link above, is it possible to open that link up to
> the public?

Quickly enabling people to build their own lab is a clear goal.
Community labs could be hooked into the central CI-CD-CT, so an
upstream commit could eventually trigger a test+report in all
maintainers labs wherever those may be.
But in fact private labs would be the prime target.

Your lab setup will need a machine being able to run docker or you need
to install lava yourself. You will want power-sockets that can be
switched from that box. Serial connections to the target(s), maybe
dhcp+pxe+nfs, remote flashers, USB-mass-storage gadget ...
Ideally you want targets that support fully automatic CD. So full
network boot or boot from USB or boot from a flash that you can write
from the outside, no SDCards and other manual steps.

ARM targets that have a bootloader which supports dhcp/tftp are well
understood and easy to hook in.

Henning