On 10.11.21 08:38, Philippe Gerum wrote:

> Jan Kiszka <jan.kis...@siemens.com> writes:

>>> No, the ABI has never been affected by this series, the old call form
>>> Cobalt uses is still supported, the new prctl() call form is a mere
>>> addition, not a replacement. The problem did only affect the kernel
>>> interface between the pipeline core and Cobalt, which is strictly a
>>> kernel API issue, not revealed by my tests mainly with Xenomai4/EVL
>>> unfortunately.
>>
>> The whole purpose of having this addition is using it. And that does
>> make a lot of sense, as you described. So the plan is to activate AND
>> use this feature in Xenomai 3.3 - with the aforementioned impact on the ABI.
>>
>> Xenomai 3.2 will continue to use the old syscall range extension scheme,
>> thus as no need and no desire to enable reporting of prctl calls to the
>> core. Therefore, Dovetail should continue to refrain from doing that for
>> Xenomai 3.2. The easiest way to achieve that is making the extension
>> build-time configurable. Other cores can then still enable it for their
>> *use*, and the fresh Xenomai 3.2 release will not break over the next
>> dovetail patch revision (which is urgently needed do to the apic-ack fix).
>>
>> Makes sense?
>>

> It falls short of solving the real problem.

Nor does your approach. If it were consequently ignoring stable
interfaces - there is no need for it in your in-tree model -, it would
have simply dropped the old syscall interface. Instead, it only provided
a half-stable solution for its users.

>> I really like to avoid avoid diverging developments again, but stability
>> trumps features and would enforce this if we cannot find a better solution.
>>

> I agree, the best way is to decouple the code bases at this point, so
> that all development efforts can progress at their own pace, according
> to their own agenda and schedule, which are not compatible. Opening a
> new tree for maintaining a Xenomai3-specific pipeline will:
>
> - make things clearer to Xenomai3 users, providing them an unambiguous
>   source for getting Dovetail support that works for it.
>
> - give you full control over this Dovetail tree, what goes there from
>   the upstream code and what does not, when it does if it does.
>
> - keep all options open for the Dovetail upstream development.  The
>   whole point of starting Dovetail was to be able to evolve the dual
>   kernel integration technique based on the evolving implementation of
>   the mainline kernel, instead of being stuck for ages with legacy
>   kernel interfaces. Kernel API changes are part of this process.
>
> We can cross-pollinate the trees, until Xenomai3 rebases on the next
> linux SLTS release which Dovetail upstream would support, and so on.

As I said, this is very unfortunate, and I hope you will reconsider your
decisions.

Meanwhile, I will stop 5.10.y-dovetail and instead start
linux-dovetail-stable.git with related branches. CI will be migrated as
well, stopping coverage of linux-dovetail head.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, T RDA IOT