On 3/11/22 12:38 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
On 11.03.22 11:12, Scott Reed via Xenomai wrote:
Hello,

I am seeing an apparent issue with PCIe MSI interrupts and I-pipe
when trying to move to a newer kernel and I-pipe patch.

The issue is as soon as a PCIe MSI interrupt occurs, the system
hangs with no message output on the serial console or in
/var/log/messages.

The platform I am working on is a "i.MX 6 Quad" and I am upgrading
from a 4.14.62 kernel and I-pipe patch with Xenomai 3.07 to 5.4.151
kernel and I-pipe patch with Xenomai 3.2.1.

Our FPGA is connected to the i.MX 6 via PCIe and generates PCIe MSI
interrupts to the CPU from, for example, an Altera Triple-Speed MAC.

I have stable system running for some time with Linux 4.14.62 with
Xenomai 3.07 although I did need to patch the PCIe driver [1]. Also
some time back, I tried to move to 4.14.110 with I-pipe and also
saw same scenario of my system hanging on the first PCIe MSI interrupt
so I backed out back to 4.14.62. Now I am trying to move to 5.4.151, but
see the same hang.

What about 4.19.y-cip? Specifically because of
https://source.denx.de/Xenomai/ipipe-arm/-/commit/a1aab8ba3098e595f9fa8b23a011ce6d72f8699c.

Actually, that commit is also missing from the last tagged 5.4 ipipe
version (ipipe-core-5.4.151-arm-4). So try ipipe/5.4.y head instead.

To do a quick test, I just applied the change from the commit you
referenced above to my 5.4.151 ipipe kernel and it unfortunately did not
help (hang still occurs with first interrupt).

Before I dive into analyzing the hang, I wanted to ask:

What are other people's experiences with using PCIe MSI interrupts
and I-pipe?

I am thinking of trying 5.10.103 Dovetail to see if I still see
the problem. Would this be recommended?

If you can migrate your test with reasonable effort, yes, definitely.

I will try to migrate my test to 5.10.103 Dovetail with the hopes that
it will not be too much effort and report back.

Thanks,

Scott

Jan

Thanks,