Jan Kiszka <jan.kis...@siemens.com> writes:

> On 07.04.22 13:16, Philippe Gerum wrote:
>>
>> Jan Kiszka <jan.kis...@siemens.com> writes:

>>> Makes sense, but shouldn't autoclear be rather the default then? Which
>>> users are affected? None in-tree so far?
>>>

>> There is one user in copperplate:
>> https://source.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai/-/blob/28158391258eea52650856bef5d3ed6ebaaf813b/lib/copperplate/eventobj.c#L87
>>
>> which indirectly affects rt_event_signal() from the alchemy API:
>> https://source.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai/-/blob/28158391258eea52650856bef5d3ed6ebaaf813b/lib/alchemy/event.c#L453
>>
>> Nobody raised the issue so far with alchemy, which is why I refrained
>> from turning the autoclear mode on by default so far. This is debatable,
>> since no documentation explains the limitation on usage caused by not
>> having the autoclear mode set.
>>

> So, the pattern via Alchemy would be
>
> Thread A              Thread B
>
> rt_event_wait()
>                       rt_event_signal()
> rt_event_clear()
>
> That would force users to perform a state check via a side-channel after
> clearing the event to avoid starting to waiting if the condition was met
> again.
>
> OK, but how could users request the new mode in rt_event_create? There
> is not even a EV_AUTOCLEAR flag for it. Do you have more patches pending?

The alternative I see is:

- assume that some people might be expecting the current - fragile to
  say the least - behavior, which means that we should add a flag to
  rt_event_create() in order to enable the auto-clear mode for all
  others.

- consider the current behavior as broken beyond recognition, and force
  in the auto-clear mode for all alchemy events, at the expense of
  requiring the folks who have been using a side-channel to paper over
  the current misdesign, to fix their stuff the right way, based on the
  auto-clear behavior.

IMHO, everyone would be better off with #2, because it would just work
in all cases. The side-channel would simply become a useless but
innocuous noise if present.

Which way should we go is debatable, this is why I did not issue any
patch changing the alchemy interface yet.

--
Philippe.