On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 21:25 +0100, Axel Weià wrote:
> Am Montag, 17. Januar 2005 23:19 schrieb Crystal Martel:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've looked throughout your site, and searched through the email
> > messages archive for an answer to the following question...
> >
> > The sys admin has installed xerces c++ parser on a linux (red hat)
> > platform.  I am trying to link to the libraries installed, but I'm
> > having problems.
> >
> > I've tried to set my LD_LIBRARY_PATH to various paths including:
> > export
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/src/xerces-c-src_2_6_0/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> >
> > However, the g++ compiler is not able to link to the .hpp files.
>
> Hi Crystal,
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is for libraries (*.so), not for headers.
>
> Do you actually have problems finding .hpp files (e.g. complains the
> compiler about missing headers) - or does your linker miss libraries?
>
> Try to find the .hpp files in /usr/include or /usr/local/include (look
> for a directory 'xercesc') or ask your admin where you'll find them.
> Then add this path to your compiler's include-path (e.g. add the option
> -I/usr/local/include).
>
> It might be necessary to expand LD_LIBRARY_PATH, dependend where the libs
> have been installed.
>
> Hope this helps,
>                       Axel

Hi Axel,

Thank you for the prompt response.  No, I don't actually have problems
finding the .hpp files.  If I code an absolute path to a xerces header
file, the linker is able to find the header, but that header includes
others headers.  The compiler is unable to find these (even though
they're in the same dir as original header).  (The linker tries to find
them in the local directory - local to the C++ file I'm trying to
compile).

I compile using the options:
g++ -I $XERCESROOT test.c

where -I is the include path, and $XERCESROOT is /usr/src/xerces-c-
src_2_6_0

Compiling with the above options results in the same problem as above,
where the linker finds the xerces header file I'm trying to include, but
subsequent includes in *that* header file cannot be found (even though
they are in the same directory).

Thanks for your help,
Crystal