Hi folks,
        This has probably been asked before, but I can't seem to access the
archives of the mail list, and I can't find a reference in any of the FAQs

Anyway, my question is this:

I have a method which is being called with a DOM Document, and I need to
serialize this DOM as XML and send the XML over an RMI connection to a remote
server.  However from time to time, the remote server is generating a parse
error for certain input.

I am using an XMLSerializer (with an OutputFormat) to serialize the DOM to a
String (using a StringWriter), and then sending that string out to the remote
server

I suspect that occasionally the DOM I am getting contains characters such as ù
and ò within the text nodes, and that the XMLSerializer is writing those
characters to the String without escaping the characters to their entity
"strings".

I am using xerces2.2, with the following code:

DOMSource    incomingDOM       = (DOMSource) sources[0];
Document     incomingDoc       = incomingDOM.getNode().getOwnerDocument();
Element      incomingElement   = (Element) incomingDOM.getNode();
String       incomingNamespace = incomingElement.getNamespaceURI();
OutputFormat format            = new OutputFormat(incomingDoc);    //Serialize
DOM

format.setOmitXMLDeclaration(true);

StringWriter  incomingXML = new StringWriter();    //Writer will be a String
XMLSerializer serial      = new XMLSerializer(incomingXML, format);

try {
        serial.serialize(incomingElement);
} catch(Exception e) {
        System.out.println("Serialization exception");
        e.printStackTrace();
}

Any pointers would be appreciated....

Pete