From: Dennis Sosnoski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 5:35 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: XML mapping to Java objects

Simon Kitching wrote:

>It's such a shame the author of this article was not aware of Apache
>Digester.

I definitely *am* aware of Apache Digester, and mention it in all my
talks on different approaches to working with XML in Java. Digester is a
very useful tool for building structures of objects from XML. AFAIK it
doesn't have any support for going in the opposite direction, though.
That blocks it from consideration as a general data binding tool.

Aside from that issue, I also consider Digester to be a much lower-level
approach to working with XML than the data binding frameworks covered in
the article. Digester basically supports a script-like approach to
working with a parse event stream. The other mapped binding frameworks
are more declarative, where you describe the relationship between XML
and your objects and the framework implements that relationship. The
frameworks using code generation from WXS go even further to hide the
details. These build a collection of "magic" classes that are
convertible to and from instance documents matching the Schema, and your
code only works with the public API of these generated classes.

  - Dennis

>Digester's main focus is parsing xml configuration files, but it can be
>used for other purposes.
>
>On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 04:54, O'Keeffe, Michael wrote:
>

>>This article at DeveloperWorks compares various tools:
>>
>>http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-databdopt/index.html
>>
>>The followup article has some performance comparisons:
>>
>>http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-databdopt2/

"THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE ALONG WITH ANY ATTACHMENTS IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE
ADDRESSEE and may contain confidential and privileged information.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this
communication is strictly Prohibited.
If you have received this message by error, please notify us
immediately, return the original mail to the sender and delete the
message from your system."