I have fallen in love with Inno Setup. I assume you are deploying to Windows, as the path issues don't seem to pop up as much with Unix users... If you are installing to Unix, you can simply do the wrapper suggestion, or instead of always running from the wrapper, use an installation jar to modify the users classpath permanently.

As for Inno Setup, it is completely free (of charge, to quote the site): http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

It will handle changing of environmental variables, and even creates an uninstall routine. It is a very professional, very complete Windows installer package. If you have any quick quesions about it feel free to contact me off-list.
--
Geoff Granum
[EMAIL PROTECTED]