Also make sure that you are not using FileReader to get your Input stream. It will read data in character and not in bytes. If you are using FileReader ... change it to FileInputStream

Jeffrey Rodriguez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Ravi,
Your InputSource is OK, you should not have to set this since the parser
would
autodectect that your data is UTF-8.

>4) Comig to the important question, do I convert the data to UTF-8 ? Answer
>is NO. The apache documentation says that the encoding is "retained" when a
>ByteStream is passed in to the parse method (as InputSource). So, the char

Where did you read this?

>array I get in characters call-back method must have char data encoded in
>UTF-8. Is it not correct ? Since the parser does not guarantee that entire

What the handler defines back as a character event return is an array of
char ( Java char ).

>char data is sent in a single call back metod call, I am constucting a
>String using the char array. And the String constructor does not take the
>encoding parameter. Is there any other way I can get String with UTF-8

Of course it doesn't since String in Java are Unicode.

>encoding ? I can not use byte array because if I covert char[] to byte [],
>there is a good possibility of data loss. Following is the code in my
>characters call back method. So, in essence, I am assuming that the char[]
>I get has UTF-8 data. Please suggest if it is not correct ! !

I don't think this may be correct, but I will let others correct me. I think
that your
array of char is just that, an array of Unicode character representing your
UTF-8 data
byte stream.

What do you call to save your data to Oracle? JDBC and array of bytes? Does
this call requires a stream?

You will have then to use an OutputStreamWriter with the proper encoding
name to
UTF-8 , and a ByteArrayOutputStream. Or just as easily just take the char[]
which you
collect in your stack, create one instance of String and use the
String.getBytes("UTF8")
method to get a byte[] than then you can store in Oracle.

>Please note that elementStack is a data structure I am using to store some
>data. Pl ignore it.

Yes...

Hope this helps,