Hi Ravi,

Great!!!

From: Ravi Varanasi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: UTF-8 problem with Xerces-J2
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 18:10:10 -0700

Finally, I could fix it. Following are the steps, I think, to note when handling UTF-8 :

My environment: Solaris, WebLogic 7.1, Xerces-J2, Oracle OCI driver (for
9i)

1) Make sure InputSource is passed as param for parse method of Xerces
parser.

2) In case of Oracle database, if the column type is : LONG (i.e. Java
LONGVARCHAR), I have set data to the Prepared Statement as:

          orastmt.defineColumnType(9, java.sql.Types.VARCHAR);
          orastmt.setObject(9, new String(shortDesc.getBytes("UTF-8"),
"UTF-8") );        // Where shortDesc is a string holding my utf-8 data

If it is a short string, setString can be used.

3) I am using WebLogic application server. While reading the data off the
DB, the NLS_LANG param must be set in the startup script as

      NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8; export NLS_LANG

Hope this info will be helpful for others working on similar config.

Appreciate all the help from the user groups :-)

Thanks,

Ravi Varanasi
408 517 7675