[ Disclaimair: this is OT, because it pertains to a xerces-c usage
  issue, but unfortunatly there's no xerces-c-users mailing list. I've
  already sent this mail to the xerces-c-dev mailing list but I got no
  answer. Sorry. ]

I'm writing a library that aim to implement a subset of the XML Schema
recommendation for the OCaml programming language. The library is free
software and is currently entirely developed in OCaml on top of the PXP
XML parser.

I would like to reuse the Xerces C++ (or even C, if any) engine for
handling regular expressions as described in the XML Schema
Recommendations. My idea is to write a binding for the OCaml programming
language, the binding need to expose just two functions:
1) a function taking a UTF-8 encoded string describing a regular
   expression and costructing a regular expression "object" from it
2) a function taking a regular expression "object" and a UTF-8 encoded
   string and try to see if the given string match the given regular
   expression returning a boolean value

I know almost nothing of the Xerces API, but looking at the code I've
found the RegularExpression class (in util/regx/RegularExpression.hpp)
that seems to have an interface doing what I'm trying to do. Anyway the
class seems to be undocumented in the API DOC and I'm asking for some
help ...

So the first question is: does that class do what I need? Is that class
implementing the Schema regular expressions?

The second one is technical, I've tried naively to do something like:

  RegularExpression *rex;
  rex = new RegularExpression("foo");
  if (rex->matches("foo"))
    cout << "Eureka!" << endl;
  else
    cout << "Sob :-(" << endl;

but I got a segfault just while trying to instantiate the
RegularExpression object.

What am I doing wrong? Any hints?

TIA,
Cheers.