On Monday, 10/27/2003 at 11:16 EST, Ian Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was wondering what classes currently use the DOMImplementation class in
the
> current working draft of DOM3.

I'm not sure what question you're asking... DOMImplementation isn't new
with DOM Level 3.

> My thoughts are that the DOMImplementation would
> describe an user implementation of DOM

It "describes" an implementation of the DOM -- *any* implementation of the
DOM. Also, as you noted, it serves as an abstract document factory, so it's
the starting point for construction of a DOM tree in that implementation.

> It seems to me that given a DOMImplementation a parser (DOMParser) could
> construct a DOM without knowing the concrete classes.

Yep, assuming a complete implementation of the DOM APIs. Not just parsers,
either; any application that wants to construct a DOM without being
prematurely locked into a particular DOM implementation could and should
start from this object.