I get exactly the same phenomenon under both the 2.5.0 and 2.6.0 releases. Under 2.5.0, I hacked the source to force it to continue and that worked. Under 2.6.0, I hacked it again but the parser dies with a null pointer exception because it can't find the parent's SYSTEM ID. The latter seems to assume that it is included via DOCTYPE entity rather than XInclude. I filed a bug report last week but have gotten no response. My included xml is also validated by its own schema.