By "converting the DOM into a String" I assume you mean the schema
DOM?  If so, I believe that yes, you must serialize the DOM into a
String.  Actually, to be more specific, you have to serialize the DOM
into a String and THEN create an InputStream out of that String (most
implementations I've seen use ByteArrayInputStream).  The InputSource
constructor that takes a String assumes that the String points to a
URI where the document can be loaded AFAIK.

Curtiss Howard