Use a serializer such as in:

public static String outerXML(Node sourceNode) {

  try {

    Transformer outerXmlTransformer = createTransformerFactory().newTransformer();

    outerXmlTransformer.setOutputProperty("omit-xml-declaration", "yes");

    DOMSource nodeSource = new DOMSource(sourceNode);

    StringWriter resultStringWriter = new StringWriter();

    StreamResult streamResult = new StreamResult(resultStringWriter);

    outerXmlTransformer.transform(nodeSource, streamResult);

    return resultStringWriter.toString();

  } catch (Exception ex) {

    return Constants.EMPTY_STRING;

  }