The xml declaration is not a processing instruction. The Oracle parser is wrong.

Bob Foster

Jason wrote:
Hi Alistair,

I'm not sure why you can't parse the xml.  I've looked
at this a bit more and it seems that the Oracle parser
is reporting the xml delcaration as a Processing
Instruction.  It never occurred to me but I guess that
the xml declaration does follow the PI format.  So, I
guess the question is, is it a PI or isn't it?

-jason

--- Alistair Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

using xerces through JAXP, if this line is present, I get a SAXException every time when parsing the doc, along the lines of xml element not allowed here. I have to remove the line before the doc will parse. Am I missing something?

thanks,
Alistair

-- Alistair Young Senior Software Engineer [EMAIL PROTECTED] Mòr Ostaig Isle of Skye Scotland

Hello,

Consider the following xml snippet:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<foo TYPE="bar">
</foo>

I have some code which uses a jaxp DocumentBuilder

parse this xml and then walk to tree and do

various

things. This code works fine with xerces (1.4.x

and

2.2.x) but when it's deployed in the Oracle 10g
application server which uses it's own jaxp
implementation there are problems.  It turns out

that

the xerces Document resulting from the parse has

only

one child which is the 'foo' element while the

Oracle

Document has two - the first is the xml

declaration

and the second is the 'foo' element.

Obviusly I can code around this easily enough but

I'm

wondering which behavior is correct with respect

the standard or if the standard even applies.
Possibly the implemenations are free to make

whichever

choice they want?  Thanks in advance.

-jason

SpamGuard.