You could extend the SymbolTable class and then replace the default by
setting the http://apache.org/xml/properties/internal/symbol-table
property with your own SymbolTable. The parser components assume that
symbols returned from the SymbolTable have been internalized with
String.intern() so all SymbolTable implementations must return
internalized strings in order for the parser to function properly.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 03/16/2005 11:43:52 AM:

> Hello,
>
> Our application is going out of memory on moderate sized XML files
(2-4MB)
> containing random XML tags due to the caching nature of the SymbolTable.
The
> random tags come from our customers and are embedded as a subtree in our
own
> xml document. This is a historical decision and can not be reverted. The
> result is that we get XML documents were we end up with 80000+ different
XML
> tags. Profiling learnt me that parsing such a file goes up to 20MB of
memory
> referred to by the SymbolTable. With the possibility of parsing multiple
of
> such documents in parallel, we can go OOM very easily.
>
> Is there anything I can do to circumvent/optimize the internal usage of
the
> SymbolTable?
>
> Ringo

Michael Glavassevich