On 08/03/2010 00:09, Wilfred van Rooijen wrote:

There are Japanese packages for polyglossia (the successor of babel for xelatex) although at present polyglossia does not yet officially support Japanese.

I looked at this again today, as I am currently helping the folks who are preparing the new Ubuntu Manual in several languages with the help of xelatex and polyglossia. A few hours ago I received from them new gloss-*.ldf files for Bengali, Telugu, Marathi and Japanese!

Two more elaborate polyglossia modules for Japanese are available at
http://user.math.kyushu-u.ac.jp/?iwase%2Fitoniki0
I have also found a discussion of Japanese typesetting with xelatex at
http://kuniyoshi.fastmail.fm/xetex/ where an alternative package genzi.sty is also presented. Nobody has ever contacted me about including CJK in polyglossia. I would not have the competence to actively maintain the modules for these languages, but if someone is willing to do it and provide active support, I would happily include it in the bundle.

FC