Am 31.05.2010 um 23:31 schrieb cfr...@imapmail.org:

Attached: source and pdf

The effect is certainly Tiger based.

I used the Venturis fonts from TeX Live 2008 and 2009 (the files have not changed between release dates). I cleared font and application caches before switching to the other set. I used the binaries from from TeX Live 2008, 2009, and 2010 pretest. In every case the same result. The result in the created PDF file also shows up now in Leopard and is not different from what you sent, Clea.

So it's likely a bug in Tiger's font service which is triggered by something in the regular font variant.

--
Greetings

  Pete

If it does exist, it's out of date.