On 2010-06-05 14:58:22 +0930, wodzi...@math.berkeley.edu said:

I read your answer to my post as an admission that STIXGeneral, which
covers actually all the usual 'text' blocks of the Unicode is not really
suitable for text? Is it really so? My naive perhaps perception was that
STIXGeneral was not just a 'Math' font but a complete font that was
expected to be used for both text and Math.

No, sorry, I misspoke. I wouldn't say that it's *not* suitable (in fact, it has a very good glyph coverage in certain areas), just that using separate -- but similar -- fonts for text and math might end up being even better than just one.

In fact, I take it all back. STIX is fine for text, and so is TeX Gyre Termes. I guess I just meant to say that there are options available. But XTIS math, unless I am mistaken, should purely be used for maths.

Why then bother about designing 'OldStyle' figures in XITS Math? My
understanding is that one uses them exclusively in the text -- not in the
Math mode. Or there is a provision somewhere in 'unicode-math' for them to
be used also in Math? (if there is one, I haven't found it)

If you want them in math, it should be possible to write

\setmathfont[range=\mathup/{num},Numbers=OldStyle]{XITS Math}

after the regular math font declaration, but I haven't tried it. I hope it works :)

If you ask me, I can add this as an option somewhere in the package. (I've seen old-style figures in maths in examples before, but never "in the wild".)

Thanks,
Will