On Aug 30, 2010, at 12:12 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

Hi again, I've encountered another puzzle.

% !TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX
\listfiles
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{array}
\newfontfamily{\ipafont}{Doulos SIL}
\def\useTIPAfont{\ipafont}
\newenvironment{ipa}{%
\let\stone\TIPAstonebar
\let\tone\TIPAtonebar
\setTIPAcatcodes\activatetipa
\csname useTIPAfont\endcsname
}{}

\newcolumntype{I}{>{\begin{ipa}[}l<{]\end{ipa}}}

\begin{document}
\begin{ipa}[PoP]\end{ipa}

\begin{tabular}{I}
PoP
\end{tabular}

\end{document}

For some reason, the first character of the the IPA environment (whether with a newcolumntype or explicitly encoded into the column) specification fails to do the correct TIPA mapping. Enclosing the character in braces solves the problem, but this doesn't seem ideal.

Any suggestions?

And I'll add another problem while I'm at it:

I have lots of tables of the sort described above. I've defined \NL to be equivalent to \tabularnewline, but this no longer works with these tables: (copy into the document above).

\newcommand\NL{\tabularnewline}
\begin{tabular}{lI}
foo & {B}AR \tabularnewline % fails if \NL instead of \tabularnewline
foo & {B}AR
\end{tabular}

--
Alan Munn