Gareth Hughes wrote:

I agree with you that these categories that are logical to Latin
typefaces, and can be extended to Greek and Cyrillic, are less than
helpful in describing other scripts. Yes, we are faced with the
awfulness of 'italic' Arabic and Syriac, which is little more than an
ugly borrowing from Latin faces. These scripts have their own ways to
give emphasis. We don't use the names 'Nestorian' or 'Jacobite' to refer
to script styles in Syriac, as they are derogatory. Even so, many books
continue this use. We use 'Estrangela/o' to refer to the classical
script, 'Serto' to refer to western script and 'Madnha' to refer to
eastern script. That said, I've seen manuscripts use mixtures of these
styles in the same work, even within the same word!

Many thanks for the explanation and clarification, Gareth.

If I have offended anyone by referring to 'Nestorian' or 'Jacobite'
in this context, I sincerely apologise : I was using the terms used
by Daniels and Bright, whom I had (perhaps mistakenly) assumed
would be cautious in their use of potentially pejorative terms.

** Phil.