I'm editing an ancient text that is broken at the beginning of the lines. Thus,
the convention to represent a broken part of a lines or verse is to use [ ].
But when [ is used at the beginning of a line in the verse environment xetex
stops compiling. A solution for this problem is to use {[} at the beginning of
the line, but  this is an annoyance for me since most of the lines of the text
are broken at the beginning.

Is there an alternative or a global command that could substitute {[}?