I have received a private mail from François Charette saying that he
no longer has time to maintain polyglossia and he offered the package
to others to become maintainers. I myself will not have any time tilll
the end of this year and moreover do not know git and have no time to
learn it. If someone is able to clone it, migrate it to subversion (or
cvs) and become a new maintainer, i will actively join the team of
developers in January 2012.

On the other hand, I intend to provide a XeTeX back-end for babel
in short. I've made some tests and I was able to typeset a document
in Russian with babel and a few additional macros. I presume I'll
start working by November.

Not that I like babel, but it's what most users want and what most
TUGs support.

Javier