Heiko Oberdiek writes:

>> * LuaTeX: "A" + U+0308 gets combined to one glyph U+00C4, the color
>> attribute of the diaeresis vanishes and the result is black (3).

On my machine, in LuaTeX (3) results in a correctly positioned *red*
diaeresis over a black A. (4) results in a red diaeresis with
incorrect positioning, both vertical and horizontal. I'm running
Ubuntu 11.10 and TexLive 2011.

>> XeTeX: The color special prevents the glyph recombination and U+0308 is
>> processed separately without knowing the base character (3 and 4)

Yes, I can confirm this also.

>> Thus the workaround would be to prevent the recombination and to fix the
>> placement manually.

Would it be possible to read the positioning data out of GPOS in order
to do this manual placement? It could then be handled by a macro.

Aleks