I'm not quite sure, if I have understood the OP correctly. But if he wants just the first letter to be bold, than the following seems to works just ok:

\renewcommand{\vec}[1]{\mathbf #1}

As LaTeX only reads the next “thing” after a command as the argument, if not grouped by {}, then only the first letter of the argument is passed to \mathbf.

If more than one letter needs to be bold, than you can put that part into a command (but Ross' reply would be preferable in all cases):

So try this out:

\documentclass{minimal}
\renewcommand{\vec}[1]{\mathbf #1}
\newcommand{\hallo}{hallo}
\begin{document}
\[\vec{x_1} \qquad \vec{\hallo_1} \qquad \vec{x^1} \qquad \vec{\hallo^1}\]
\end{document}

ciao

Tobias