These work fine too of course - though I do sometimes find unexpected (and unwanted) tight interlinear space between \vboxes or \vtops, and between those and the next (unboxed) bit of text. Sometimes it's not straightforward to figure out why this is happening and one can get involved in \struts and suchlike. But I quite agree - keep it simple where possible, and don't get mired down in the intricacies of packages which might do a huge amount that one doesn't require, and then let one down in precisely the straightforward situation where one is trying to use them.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Philip TAYLOR" <p.tay...@rhul.ac.uk>
To: "Unicode-based TeX for Mac OS X and other platforms" <xetex@tug.org>
Sent: 20 November 2012 16:19
Subject: Re: [XeTeX] horizontal alignment

John Was wrote:
Hello

I'm not a LaTeX user but I think the standard plain TeX commands mostly
work in that environment.  Could you not try giving:

\begingroup
\interlinepenalty10000

STUFF YOU WANT TO KEEP ON SAME PAGE

\endgroup

If you are going to advocate plain TeX solutions (as would I),
why not the most simple solutions of all :

\vtop
\bgroup
> STUFF YOU WANT TO KEEP ON SAME PAGE
\egroup