On 2013-08-02 10:38, Lorna Evans wrote:
In my case (I'm the OP), the problem indeed turned out to
be with my font files--I had two versions of the CharisSIL
font files, with slightly different names.  Apparently it
(Cygwin, and therefore XeLaTeX) was picking up the older
ones, which were known to have issues with small caps.
I imagine this problem could occur in other OSs, since
the font file naming issue would affect those systems too.

Most OSes use installed fonts so they wouldn't have this problem. This
is because XeTeX (and XeLaTeX) give the facility to point at a
particular physical font that may not even be "installed". In this
case it apparently just chose the first one it found.

Cygwin is a sort of *nix implementation that runs in Windows. I believe it's picking up the system fonts, which in this case are the installed Windows fonts plus any extra fonts specified in /etc/fonts/local.conf. The problem occurred at the Windows level: both versions of the CharisSIL font were _installed_. I believe this happened because of the file name change at some point: the older font files had names like CharisSIL-R.ttf, and the newer ones had names like CharisSILR.ttf (or something like that--I'm not on that computer now). So Windows happily installed both versions of this font in C:\Windows\Fonts\, because the two versions had different file names.

   Mike Maxwell