     Datum: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 11:11:21 +0200
       Von: Ulrike Fischer <ne...@nililand.de>
Antwort an: ne...@nililand.de, "XeTeX (Unicode-based TeX) discussion." <xetex@tug.org>
   Betreff: Re: [XeTeX] Adobe Professional Fonts and Diacritics
        An: xetex@tug.org

Am Thu, 10 Sep 2015 09:59:52 +0200 schrieb François Patte:

This is useful to use fonts where some diacritics are missing. However
is it possible to do the same with double diacritical marks?

I tried this:

 \catcode`\ṝ=\active

\defṝ{\d{\={r}}} or \defṝ{\={\d{r}}}}

But get only: ṛ

You need a suitable definition for \=. If the font doesn't has a
suitable accent you will have to build something. E.g this here
would work (but probably not give a good placed bar in all cases,
and it would disable kerning)

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Minion Pro}

\makeatletter
\DeclareTextCommand{\d}{\UTFencname}[1]
   {\hmode@bgroup
\o@lign{\relax#1\crcr\hidewidth\ltx@sh@ft{-1ex}.\hidewidth}\egroup}

\catcode`\ṣ=\active
\defṣ{\d{s}}

\DeclareTextCommand{\=}{\UTFencname}[1]
   {$\overline{\mbox{#1}}$}%

\makeatother

\begin{document}
\={a}

Āāīūś  % works as expected.
ṣṇṭḍṃḥ % just crossed out boxes.

\d{s}

\catcode`\ṝ=\active

\defṝ{\d{\={r}}} ṝ or \defṝ{\={\d{r}}} ṝ

\end{document}

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/