On 8/10/15 09:52, David Carlisle wrote:
On 8 October 2015 at 09:50, Philip Taylor <p.tay...@rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
Hmmm, completely stymied :  not even this works ...

It wouldn't be expected to really, this was asked on stackexchange initially
and it looks almost certainly due to the interface between tex's hyphenation and
the font libraries, that is, an issue in the engine not due to macros,
that's why I suggested it was posted here.

Yes, it's very possible this is an engine bug. What would be most useful here, I think, would be a reduced (non-LaTeX!) testcase demonstrating the underlying incorrect behavior at the (Xe)TeX primitive level. Any takers?

JK