On 13/03/2016 1:26 PM, Philip Taylor wrote:

msk...@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca wrote:

If a script begins with the characters "#!" and the name of a script
interpreter, and has the execute bit set, then it can be executed like any
other program, and the front end can run it the same way the front end
would run any TeX engine.  This is a facility of the operating system,
often called the "shebang" mechanism, and it is transparent to
applications.  There is no need for the front end to know what language
the script is written in, nor how to interpret that language.

As far as I am aware, Mathew, #! is meaningless to the Windows
command-line interpreter; I /believe/ (but have no first-hand knowledge
or experience) that its use is restricted to Unix-like systems.

Not restricted to particular systems, but restricted to particular Unix-like shells. You can run Unix-like shells on Windows using Cygwin or a couple of other emulators.

But your main point is correct: as in everything, doing this in Windows is a bit harder than doing it anywhere else.

Duncan Murdoch