On 21/02/2021 11:12, David Carlisle wrote:
> I think that should be taken up with the xstring maintainers.

Yes, I would agree this is an xstring problem.

It looks like in an older version the file was utf-8. I suspect someone saved it as Latin-1 in the course of editing, probably without realising it at the time.

As a workaround you could try

  \documentclass{article}
  \XeTeXdefaultencoding "iso-8859-1"
  \usepackage{xstring}
  \XeTeXdefaultencoding "utf-8"
  \begin{document}
  \end{document}

to change xetex's default while loading the file.

JK