Thanks for your reply Jonathan,

whether with catcode 12 or 11, it still doesn't work.

Here is a minimal example:

\lccode"200D="200D
\patterns{
^^^^200d1^^^^200d
}

and then a file

\lccode"200D="200D
\catcode"200D=11
bla^^^^200d^^^^200dbla
\showhyphens{bla^^^^200d^^^^200dbla}
\end

The log file says:

This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-0.999993 (TeX Live 2021) (preloaded
format=plain)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
(./test.tex
Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 6--6
[] \tenrm blabla
[1] )
(see the transcript file for additional information)
Output written on test.xdv (1 page, 236 bytes).
Transcript written on test.log.

which means that the pattern has not been applied.

> Le 25 mars 2021 à 10:37, Jonathan Kew <jfkth...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> On 25/03/2021 09:27, Yannis Haralambous wrote:
>> I noticed that the problem does not come from mapping. When I write
>> ^^^^0643^^^^200d^^^^200d^^^^0643
>> in the text (with \lefthyphenmin=1) and \lccode"200D="200D
>> and when I load a pattern
>> ^^^^200d1^^^^200d
>> I get no hyphenation at all, as if the ^^^^200d character is not allowed in
>> hyphenation patterns,
>> even though I took care to specify that it is of \catcode 12 and of \lccode
>> equal to itself…
>
> Was that a typo? It would need to be \catcode 11 to be eligible for
> hyphenation, IIRC.
>
> (There may well be other issues involved, but let's start here.)
>
>> And I did this in a file with no mapping at all.
>> Any idea where it comes from?
>> IMT Atlantique <http://www.imt-atlantique.fr>
>> *Yannis HARALAMBOUS*
>> Professor
>> Computer Science Department
>> UMR CNRS 6285 Lab-STICC
>> Site web IMT Atlantique
>> <http://perso.telecom-bretagne.eu/yannisharalambous/>Twitter IMT Atlantique
>> <https://twitter.com/y_haralambous>LinkedIn IMT Atlantique
>> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/yannis-haralambous-5529073?trk=hp-identity-name>
>> Technopôle Brest-Iroise CS 83818
>> 29238 Brest Cedex 3, France
>> Une école del'IMT <http://www.imt.fr>
>> /A good attitude to the preparation of written mathematical exposition
>> is to pretend that it is spoken. Pretend that you are explaining the subject
>> to a friend on a long walk in the woods, with no paper available./
>> (Paul R. Halmos)

 <http://www.imt-atlantique.fr/>        Yannis HARALAMBOUS
Professor
Computer Science Department
UMR CNRS 6285 Lab-STICC
 <http://perso.telecom-bretagne.eu/yannisharalambous/>
<https://twitter.com/y_haralambous>
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/yannis-haralambous-5529073?trk=hp-identity-name>Technopôle
 Brest-Iroise CS 83818
29238 Brest Cedex 3, France
Une école de l'IMT <http://www.imt.fr/>
UNIX Book Units have all of the virtues and none of the vices of fitment
furniture.
They are as modern as movies and as classical as Greece.     (Brian Kernighan)