Quoting Mark Vojkovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > >    From what I've seen, most segfaults with the last official
> release
> > > are due to bugs in the font renderers, or maybe just in the font
> > > server.  You could try explicitly putting font paths in the
> XF86Config
> > 
> > Not just in the font server -- a bad font server shouldn't crash a
> good X
> > server, should it?
> > 
> 
>    It always has in the past.  Don't know much about the interface
> between XFS and the server, but I know it's not robust.

  Some time ago I made several patches for xfs, using an exploit as model,
just connecting and throwing /dev/urandom on it until xfs closed the
connection or crashed. Once it was running without problems for more than
3 days I gave up.

  I was planning to do something similar to the xserver, but always leave
to later... This may be an interesting experiment, run a debuggable server
under gdb and write a client that once connected, start sending /dev/urandom
data. Iteration with the font server probably could be "tested" the same way.

  The only problem is that crashes cannot be exactly reproduced, but if
there is a real bug, it normally shows itself again soon, but better do
enough investigation to understand the crash condition without needing
to repeat it.

Paulo
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to