After a bit of fighting, I finally got my Matrox G550 to output to the DVI
port.

Using DVI with the G450 and G550 requires the mga_hal_drv.o library from
the Matrox web site.

Additionally, I had to specify the resolution and force a Vertical Refresh
of 60Hz on this monitor to get it to work.

On top of that, I have to turn the monitor off and then back on after it
switches from console mode to X.

The hardware cursor is also broken and you need to enable the software
cursor. These are by no means mild problems but at least the thing works.

4.2.99.3 or 4.2.99.4 dont fix any of these problems. You still have to use
the HAL library (as far as I can tell) and I still have to restart my
monitor after switching modes.

These problems do not exist with a spare Radeon card I tested.

The Radeon card has its own issues, however. 4.2.99.3 and 4.2.99.4
seg fault when I use a "Powered By ATI" Radeon 7000 in the system. Under
4.2.1 I could not initialize more than one Radeon 7000 in the system at a
time. I could use each one individually, but not at the same time.

Someone mentioned hacking the driver to get it working, but I need to find
out why the server keeps segfaulting first :)

-Don