>    I just recently acquired a GeForce 4 MX440 card made by Asus.  Its a
>dual head card with 2 DVI ports and a third connector for video capture.
>    I would like to use the nv driver developed by the XFree86 project.
>The nv driver appears to be more stable than the NVidia driver, and from
>what I can tell moves faster as well.

I long time use Nvidia closed source drivers. Works stable for me.
IMHO only 0.9 nvidia drivers causes oopes und segfault.
I have 3 nvidia cards in my box , but I never use Xinerama.
Instead I run multiple X terminals (startx.times.lv).
Under so weird project "nvidia" driver run stable.
All terminals have GLX hardware acceleration.

Aivils Stoss