On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 12:50:30AM +0100, Filip djMedrzec Zyzniewski scrawled:
> There are some problems I get with X 4.2.99.4, prolly bugs.
>
> 1. My X setup is unstable when using 3D.
> with 4.2.1 I could play UT for some time and then it freezed.
> With 4.2.99.4 I get freezes right at the beginning of UT.
>
> What is freeze?
>
> Display freezes, game gets locked. Sys works fine (accessible remotely),
> until I kill -9 X or UT.

Are you compiling with gcc3.2? If so, try 2.95, or 3.4 (NOT 3.3); MMX
code generation is really badly broken.

> If (with freezed screen) I tried mplayer -vo vesa, it was able to display
> a movie, but freezed system when exiting.
>
> I can still mess around with alt-sysrq-foo things (even after freeze).
> If i did alt-sysrq-k with this freeze, whole sys gets stopped (and
> soundcard repeats its buffer).

As it would, you're taking out init. Try Alt-SysRq-L, or S, then U, then
B, to reboot.

> Sometimes when I played UT, whole PCI stuff stopped (sblive, NICs) and
> rest (GPU, keyb, rs232-inet) kept working for about 2-3 minutes
> (and then 100% freeze).

Odd.

> 2. XVideo looks bad with 100% scale
> When I play a movie with mplayer -vo xv, not fullscreen, image looks
> like badly scaled (disorted slant lines etc). But window size is
> equal to movie size. Doesn't happen with another video card and
> with X 4.2.1. Unfortunately I can't take a screenshot ;).

How are you scaling? Software scaling or hardware scaling? Are you
trying to scale a 16:9 or such movie to 4:3?

> 3. XFS breaks Type1 fonts.
> With 4.2.1: http://www.filip.eu.org/xdm.jpg
> With 4.2.99.4: http://www.filip.eu.org/xdmb.jpg
> Note that using direct FontPath to font files in XF86Config
> solves the problem (in 4.2.99.4).

Try xfs-xtt.

--
Daniel Stone                                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne