> What ChipID would you like me to try?  Other people with
> similar laptops
> (I have a Compaq Presario 900z) have reported limited success
> in the 4.2
> series using ChipID 0x4242 (with NoAccel),

forget about that ID immediately - its the Radeon 8500 AIW
which has quite some glue magic on the PCI bus interface.

for a quick test the Radeon 8500 (R200) mainline with 0x5148
would be a much better attempt.

> but this doesn't work for me. In 4.2, X doesn't find the device.

X must find the device if you did the changes
(described by "man XF86Config")
as they should have been done.

> In 4.3 betas, that chip id
> allows X to start, but the system locks up if I try to start any
> applications or zap X (Ctrl+Alt+Bcksp).  Further, X doesn't
> draw to part
> of the screen.  The stipple pattern is missing from the first
> 2.5 or 3.5
> rows of pixels.

Okay, you are running now. Fine.

Try disabling any 2D accelleration to fix your problems.

After that try reporting one after the other of remaining problems
to the respective XFree86 developers.
Someone will read that and try to solve it,
even if not always directly visible to the list.

-Alex.

PS: Is the "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" mailing-list okay for bug reports?