On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I also have a problem with this video card,
>Here's a link http://www.wsu.edu/~ice124/ that well describes what happens on my PC:
>Currently, i'm using vesa driver ... and waiting xfree4.3 radeon/ati driver.
[SNIP]

>Getting XFree86 up and running is fairly simple.  There are two options for your
>display driver: use the generic vesa driver (provides
>basic 2D functions, but is stable) or the radeon driver (supports SVGA out and
>possibly 3D, but is slow).  I have included XF86Config
>files for both modes below.  Just move the files into your /etc/X11/ folder and
>rename them to XF86Config.
>
>Vesa - This mode is the safest and most stable.  It's the mode I currently use.
>XFree86 4.3 should include a
>faster, more optimized VESA driver.

By definition, the "vesa" driver, uses the VESA BIOS Extensions
present on the video card's ROM BIOS.  This allows the X server
to set up video modes and manage the video hardware, without
actually knowing anything about the specific video card itself.
It does not however provide acceleration.  It is impossible to
provide acceleration for the vesa driver, because the actual code
is in the video card's BIOS chip, and not part of the X server.

The VESA VBE/AF standard includes accelerator functionality, but
to the best of my knowledge, zero actual video cards provide
VBE/AF in their BIOSs, and as such, it is impossible to provide
any kind of 2D acceleration on any hardware when using the "vesa"
driver - so it will _always_ be slow.  If anyone is aware of any
video hardware that does actually provide VBE/AF support in the
built in BIOS, let me know as it wouldn't be too difficult to add
VBE/AF support to the "vesa" driver.  I seriously doubt that any
cards out there exist that support VBE/AF however, so don't hold
your breath.

>Radeon - This mode is somewhat buggy in XFree86 4.2.  SVGA out works, as well as more
>advanced features
>
>(transparency, etc).  However, this driver is VERY slow drawing to to the screen.
>The good news is that the Radeon 7500 (which the
>Mobility U1 is based on) is slated to be fully supported in XFree86 4.3, which should
>be released, as they say, very soon.  If you're
>feeling particularly brave, you can try the 4.2.99 CVS from xfree86.org.  Good luck,
>and email me with any news.  If you are wondering,
>here are the settings I used for the display in the file:

The Mobility U1 is totally unsupported in 4.2.1 and earlier,
which is why it doesn't work.  ;o)  It is not to my knowledge
based on the Radeon 7500 however.  If I'm not mistaken it is
based on the Radeon 9000.

If someone can test the latest XFree86 CVS code (the absolute
latest) on a Radeon Mobility U1, and tell me wether or not the
native "radeon" driver works or not on it, I'd be more than glad
to help troubleshoot and add/fix support for it.

Let me know what the output is for the video card:

lspci -vvn

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris