On Fre, 2003-02-21 at 05:37, Gary Greene wrote:

> On Thursday 20 Feb 2003 8:11 pm, Per Bjornsson wrote:

> > > So have you tried setting your dm up to restart the server on logout?
> > > They only reset it by default.

> > > The thing is, if zapping the server works, then it can't be something
> > > really bad like a lockup. Maybe the server is running fine, there's
> > > 'just' no display?
> >
> > I think that I might be seeing the same problem on a Sapphire Radeon 9000
> > (detected as a RV250 If) - at least I am seeing similar behavior. The only
> > thing that triggers the lock for me is logging out while running a display
> > manager though, at least I haven't seen any other lockups lately. I
> > haven't had time to nail down if I can avoid it (e.g. by disabling DRI) -
> > that's why I haven't written about it earlier - but the computer _really_
> > seems dead. Doesn't even answer a ping, and a hard reset is the only cure.

[...]

> - From what I found, the system is effectively dead as well. The freeze seems to
> lock the I/O subsystem of the kernel. Thus, killing the network, mouse, and
> keyboard.

This isn't consistent with your reportedly being able to zap the server
and start another one afterwards though.

> I think that it is creating a race condition where the system is
> both shutting down and starting up the card at the same time, effectively
> grabbing at the card at the same time.

Something along those lines possibly. Unfortunately, such problems are
very hard to debug, especially when you can't reproduce them...

> Just a thought, would running my vc's in framebuffer mode cause a conflict
> here?

Shouldn't, but it's something else to try I guess. If it's radeonfb,
playing with Option "UseFBDev" is another option.