On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Giraldo Alonso Suarez wrote:

> Hello colleagues:
> Some bady can say me how many grafics servers (X-Windows) exist in
> addition to these, and the distribution use him...
>
> XFree86
> Metro-X
> Xi-Graphics
>
> For example:
>
> Oper.Sys.      X-Windows
>
> MacOS         Apple's Quartz
> QNX           Photon

Apple offer an X-Windows* server based on XFree86, which can be run
at the same time as Quartz.

Solaris         Sun's X server
Unix            X.Org's reference X server (see http://www.x.org/)

All, or almost all, other unix vendors ship an X-Windows* server;
almost all of these are based on or derived from the MIT code,
many still contribute code back to the others.
WeirdX http://www.jcraft.com/weirdx/ is an implementation of X-Windows
which is written in Java, and thus presumably *not* based on the MIT code.

* Sorry for not using the approved name "The X Window System"
at every opportunity.

Going back in history:
NeXT machines had a graphics server based on Display PostScript,
SunOS Sun machines used a graphics system called first SunTools
and then SunView.
Before Linux there was a free multiplatform OS with many unix
characteristics called Plan-9, with a graphics system called something
like "five-and-a-half".

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna