On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I have a BIOSTAR M7VIG PRO mainboard that, according to Biostars website, has
>the S3 ProSavage8 integrated video chipset (it shares up to 32 meg of system
>RAM).  I am running Red Hat 8.0.
<snip>
>My question:
>
>S3 ProSavage8 -> supported by the XFree86 under Red Hat 8.0?
>If so -> where and how can I get drivers and install them or configure them?
>If not -> I guess I should just change my configuration back to "VESA" as the
>driver?

I haven't heard of the ProSavage8.  If you find the PCI id (do an
/sbin/lspci -v and note the location of the video card entry, then do an
/sbin/lspci -vn and look in the same location for the "Class" entry)
you could compare it with the list at
http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html in the "Supported Chipsets"
section.  If it is listed then you could download the latest Savage
driver and move it into /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/

If it isn't listed there then you could try emailing the maintainer of
that driver (note that he maintains it as a public service and is a
pretty busy person, so maybe wait and see if there's other responses
from this list first).

You could also just try that latest driver and see if it works.

HTH,
Oisin Feeley