Hi,

I have some problems with my new Linux. I installed
RedHat 8.0 and I'm not able to get my X-Server
running. The system  should be able to do it, because
Suse 7.3 had no problems. The graphic-card is a 'ATI
Rage 128' and the monitor a 'Samsung Syncmaster 700p
Plus'. Both of them are detected without problems
during the installation, and a friend told me the
ATI-card should be quite well suported.

Whenever I try to change to the 7th console (I'm new
to Linux, but it seemed to me that this is always the
graphical console), I see some short flickering of a
graphical screen, like when you put a beamer to a
laptop, and then the monitor tries to get a right
image but doesn't seem to get one.

I tryied to reconfigure it with xf96config, which has
absolutely no effect, and the redhat-config-x86free
(something like that) won't run, because it seems to
me that it want's to switch to a graphical screen.

So, I'm quite at the end with my Ideas... can anybody
help me?

Thanks,
Johannes