Right. Veit also pointed out this limitation. Perhaps it's
*doable*, but just isn't supported? [EMAIL PROTECTED]
claims to have it working under linux; I know I have 1600x1200
working on 4.2.1 (Freebsd-4.7) for both the G400/550 on a
the viewsonic vp230mb (at 56hz v-refresh).

The monitor reports it's in 'digitial' in the onscreen displays.
Plus, I'm using a (single link) DVI/D cable. I can't
even force it to analog on that cable via DigitalScreen{,1,2} "False".
(Could it still be fooling me and doing analog somehow?)

I really like your point about the dual-link card/cable.
I may go get a dual-link cable and see if it has an effect
on the Iiyama au4831d.
(And/or if Dr.Aitchison could report on his cable?)

Lastly, how can I know if a card is dual/single link?
A lot of sites' specs seem not even as forthcoming as
the Matrox site. (At least from what I can grok.)
And the Matrox site doesn't really say explictly
about single/dual link. They just imply it in the
resolution they support.

Are there hints/things how to sus this out?

Thanks very much the continued postings.

k.

p.s. Re: Veit's question about 60hz vs 56hz: I'm sure.
I went and double checked: at 60Hz I get a blank screen
for 1600x1200 and see this in the log:

(WW) (1600x1200,ViewSonic LCD-23) mode clock 162MHz exceeds DDC maximum 160MHz

This even with NoDDC, NoDDC1, NoDDC2.

Regards,

Thomas Winischhofer wrote:
According to the Matrox website (http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/tech_info/g550_factsheet.cfm) the G550 can only do up to 1280x1024 via *digital* DVI, 1600x1200 via *analog* DVI. (1280x1024 is the limit for all "single-link" cards/output devices. Resolutions above this require a "dual link" card/output device. The difference can also be seen on the cable; single-link cables/plugs do not use the middle 3x3 pin block, dual-link cables use all pins ... and are twice as expensive, BTW)

Thomas

Veit Wahlich wrote:

Hi Ken!