Greetings,

Request your assistance.  I have an older machine that I have not used in a
while and decided to try to get Linux (Mandrake 6.1) up and going again.
And I am hung up in a loop at boot-up.

My video card is a Diamond ET4000 with:

Fatal server error:
(--) SVGA: A color depth of 16bpp is not supported (linear memory required).

I believed I caused this when I set the startX option as -bpp 16 in KDE with
Xconfigurator.  It complained  with something like an error was encountered.
Later on, when I rebooted I got stuck in a loop.

How can I break out of the loop?  On bootup all starts out well.  The bootup
process stops at the text based (not windows based)  logon screen.  As soon
as I enter a character it jumps into a repeating screen showing many lines
of (--) SVGA: Mode ....., which I can stop with ctrl-S and start again with
ctrl-Q.

Is there something like a magic key sequence? (ctrl-D, ctrl-Z, etc do no
work).

Thank you.

Mike