Ok, I'm totally stumped. I installed XFree86 4.3.0 on linux kernel
2.2.14. I ran 'XFree86 -configure' creating /root/XF86Config.new. I ran
'XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new' to test the server and it
crashes saying no screens were found. /var/log/XFree86.0.log shows a
number of errors including:

(WW) xf86AcquireGART: AGPIOC_ACQUIRE failed (Inappropriate ioctl for
device)
(EE) GARTInit: AGPIOC_INFO failed (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
(EE) I810(0): AGP GART support is not available.  Make sure your kernel
has
        agpgart support or that the agpgart kernel module is loaded.

and:

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

and then the fatal error: no screens found.

Now this whole business about inappropriate ioctl makes me nervous.
Probably because I know very little about the mechanics of ioctl. This
*is* the system call that we are talking about, right? Why would it
fail? Wrong version maybe? Is the kernel at fault, old version that
doesn't support some new ioctl thing-a-ma-bob. A bug in AGP GART? AGP
GART is in fact installed as a module. However this is not a fatal error
and maybe I can still run X without this AGP GART stuff.

Continuing, now the final blow: Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
configuration. This makes me the most nervous of all. The screens have
no usable configuration? Oh this really disturbs me because I just ran
XFree86 -configure so if this leaves all my screens in an *unusable*
state then does that mean I'll have to configure my screens myself? If
XFree86 can't figure out what configuration is usable how will I ever
figure this out. I know just as much about my hardware as X does, i810
and a Voodoo2.

Well, the tracks run out of my train of reasoning here. I just don't
know enough about how AGP GART, ioctl, and XFree86 work to fill in the
gaps. This is my cry for help.

Confused in San Carlos,
Zach Walters

p.s. I have attached the complete /var/log/XFree86.0.log in case anyone
is interested.