On Thursday, June 5, 2003 6:47 am, Zippo wrote:
> I am haveing a problem with my Xterm promts. It is sh-05a$. it makes life
> in terminial rather hard. However if i type exec /bin/bash --login i
> corrects the problem. But i have todo that for every Xterm and is a pain.
> And if i am in a non-xterm terminal it is correct also. I am clueless some
> help would be much thanks. zippo

/me cracks open the man pages...

xterm(1):

       -ls     This  option  indicates  that  the  shell  that is
               started in the xterm window will be a login  shell
               (i.e.,  the  first  character of argv[0] will be a
               dash, indicating to the shell that it should  read
               the user's .login or .profile).

               Note  that this is incompatible with -e, since the
               login program does not provide a  way  to  specify
               the command to run in the new shell.  If you spec­
               ify both, xterm uses -ls.

       loginShell (class LoginShell)
               Specifies whether or not the shell to  be  run  in
               the  window  should  be  started as a login shell.
               The default is ``false.''

bash(1):

       When bash is invoked as an interactive login shell, or  as
       a  non-interactive shell with the --login option, it first
       reads and executes commands from the file /etc/profile, if
       that  file  exists.  After reading that file, it looks for
       ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, and  ~/.profile,  in  that
       order,  and reads and executes commands from the first one
       that exists and is readable.  The --noprofile  option  may
       be  used  when the shell is started to inhibit this behav­
       ior.

       When a login shell exits, bash reads and executes commands
       from the file ~/.bash_logout, if it exists.

       When  an  interactive  shell  that is not a login shell is
       started, bash reads and executes commands from  ~/.bashrc,
       if  that  file exists.  This may be inhibited by using the
       --norc option.  The --rcfile file option will  force  bash
       to   read  and  execute  commands  from  file  instead  of
       ~/.bashrc.

So either edit your X resources to use login shell mode by default in xterm,
or edit your .bashrc to set your prompt even when bash isn't run as a login
shell.  I did the latter.

--
Andy Goth  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://ioioio.net/
End communication.