Hi,

My issue is quite complex to explain, so I will take a simple example:

- I am running Linux Mandrake 9.1 (XFree86 4.3.0 and kernel 2.4.21) - I have one USB mouse

I configured my mouse in XF86Config-4 like this:
Section "inputDevice"
  Identifer "Mouse-USB"
  Driver "mouse"
  Protocol "PS/2"
  Option "Device" "/dev/mouse-usb"
EndSection

/dev/mouse-usb is a symlink to /dev/input/mouse0.

Here is what I do: 1) I boot and launch XFree86 => the mouse is working fine in my graphical session

2) I unplug and replug the USB mouse
        => the path of the USB mouse is now /dev/input/mouse1 (due to the kernel)
        => the pointer is not working in my graphical session

3) I change the symlink /dev/mouse-usb -> /dev/input/mouse1

=> here is MY ISSUE, I don't understand why the pointer does not work
again in my graphical session (since the symlink is now pointing to the
right path /dev/input/mouse1)....

I noticed that if I switch between VT1 and come back to VT7, then it
works again. (?)

Here is MY REQUEST:
Is there any way to "refresh" the pointer status (reopen the device path
(?))in a "software way" (without swtiching and without restarting X)
by sending a signal for example or using an X tool or apps.

(please don't tell me that I could use /dev/input/mice... thanks!)

thanks a lot for your help!

Sylvain