Oliver Comber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> We installed a dual headed Appian Permedia3 card recently, and all was going
> well - both heads up and running and the decent config recorded in
> /etc/xf86config - until we rebooted.
>
> Basically, the whole machine freezes the first time X is started UNLESS X is
> first 'bootstrapped' by starting with "X -configure".  After this, switch to
> runlevel 5 and all is well.
>
> I imagine that the probing X does to autoconfigure must set some
> things on the card which the standard X driver doesn't do.

That isn't the case.  The probing is done by the standard drivers.

> Has anyone else come across this, and is there a fix?

Can you try to obtain a log file?  Mount the filesystem where your
/var is with option sync, typically something like

    mount -o remount,sync /var

Then try to start X.  Reboot and post /var/log/XFree86.0.log here.
Also look for anomalies in the kernel logs.

--
Måns Rullgård