Hi there...

As far as unix based OSs go I'm a newbie but very interested non the less. I have a linux distro by the name of Linux Suse 7.2pro. When installing the OS, the coputer will freeze whenever I get to the point where I need to test the video display [once i have set resolutions etc] The problem, from what I can work out from looking around was that this OS has an older versino of xfree86 which has a problem with a couple of cards one of those being the ATI radeon chipset.

This is rather frustrating as I believe that just a simple update of xfree86 will solve the problem, however, I cannot even gain access to the GUI because the X window system isn't created as I can never get past the video config screen.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Steven